2013年3月20日 星期三

Why Your Five Year Old Could Not Have Done That: Modern Art Explained

I found this book in the public library!
I find the title of the book quite fascinating coz ppl usually said that a 5 year old kid could draw sth as Picasso.

Some modern art pieces that I find interesting and connections with the art pieces I have seen last year in the Documenta 13

1. Hannah Höch, Cut With The Kitchen Knife Through The Last Weimar Beer-Belly Cultural Epoch in Germany (1919-1920), 


CUT WITH THE KITCHEN KNIFE includes more than 150 illustrations of works Hoch created during 1918-1933, the Weimar years. Hoch assembled her montages by selecting photographs of women from illustrated print sources and juxtaposing them with fragments of scenes from Weimar and German colonial society. Readers will be intrigued by the surprising even shocking compositions which combine the pleasure of viewing mass media images with critical, even destructive feelings about the subject matter. 
It is the largest and most overtly political of Höch’s photomontages. Yet both its scale and “content” were alien to her sensibility. Most of the collages are small—“intimate” is not an inappropriate word—and without the vitriol typical of Berlin Dada. A German critic described the photomontages as being “skeptical in an almost tender way” and this seems about right. For Höch never took great interest in expounding an anti-art agenda.

I rmb:geoffrey farmer leaves of grass 2012
The work features a great number of figures cut out from the pages of Life magazine that have been mounted on dried-grass sticks.
Wt Geogreffy said: 
 I think there are many things that are going on in this piece and I hope people get a sense of that. In one of the last issues of Life, I found a small image of Susan Sontag’s book On Photography. It is about one centimetre by one centimetre. It appears at the very end of the piece, next to a tiny Lady Diana. I think, in some ways, the piece is dedicated to Sontag and to her writing. Not to say there is a warning there, but perhaps there is.

I am not really conceptual. I don’t think up a concept and then execute it. I learn through discovery and from direct contact with the material I am using. Even though the work might emanate out of an idea or interest and may have a horizon, I don’t really know exactly what I am doing

沒有留言:

張貼留言